Belted kingfisher

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Seen this morning at a local pond.

Specific Feedback

Overall composition and realistic sharpness.

Technical Details

Canon R7, 400mm f4 DO IS II, 1.4x extender III, monopod
ISO 800, f7.1, 1/3200s

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:

Awesome In-flight images of the kingfisher Allen. These are so sharp and have great action. Love the sunfish dinner, I also really like the water droplets all over the frame. I’m not sure how you can do it, but if you could lighten/pale the BG greens a bit it might make the kingfisher stand out a bit more.

These look darn good to me! They are so fast and so flitty that this is a very hard shot to achieve - kudos for sharpening those skill so well. I like that you’ve included the splash point in one of them for context - they pluck those little guys like it’s nothing. The second feels like the blacks are a bit crushed and the mids, too. A slight lift there might make things sparkle a bit more. Again, kudos on some winning photos.

the belted Kingfisher is one of my favorite Birds. They move very fast and not always in straight-line. They seem to be very wary of humans. You have to be in the right place at the right time And be close enough to get decent detail. at least where I live, The Kingfisher Is esasonal.good light and good background are helpful. And it’s my understanding they frequently return To the same spots every year. Catching one before they catch you
.is a good idea.

I like the detail and wing position both of these pictures. The fish in the mouth is A bonus.

I’m in awe of how well you nailed depth of field here…. Wingtips and beak in sharp focus despite the speed these guys travel! I love the wing position in the first image best

Hi Allen
Just lighting up the Kingfisher with any degree of detail, is very cool.
Peter