Big Creek in Summer—Repost

Per Will’s suggestion, I gave this image a 4x5 crop to eliminate the rocks on the left. I’m not sure how I feel about it. It feels a little tight to me. Perhaps eliminating the small rock below the far left-hand side rock that he suggested removing would make the LHS less distracting?

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This image was shot in August of 2022. I like the way the light touched the rocks surrounding the small cascade. The water was low so I used a longer shutter speed to (attempt) to give it the appearance of more bulk.

Specific Feedback

Your feedback will be appreciated! The image looks lighter here than it does in Photoshop or my print. I prefer it darker, but will leave it as is to see what you think!

Technical Details

EOS RP, 70-200mm f/4 lens, ISO 400, f/29, 5 seconds

Really beautiful image !!! Black and White shows the soul and tone of an image. Its great as it is.

Thanks, Gill! I love this shot. Big Creek is in the Smoky’s, not too far from where I live. So much to “play with” in the rocky stream. :slightly_smiling_face:

Susanna, I like this image a lot. I think the control of tones really draws the viewers eye to the water near the center of the image and holds the eye there. And monochrome is obviously the right choice. You mentioned that the print looks darker, and I think that could be interesting .

I do wonder if a bit of the LHS of the image could be cropped from about the last rock on that side. That part of the image has a little less interest than the rest, but I’m not sure if removing it would unbalance things.

-Will

Appreciate your feedback, Will! I’m not sure what the LHS is. :thinking: Please let me know so I can take a look at your suggestion. Thanks!

Left hand side

Okay, Will, I tried your suggestion. What do you think?

The 2nd version is definitely a stronger, more decisive composition. The balance is better and it looks deliberate. The tonalities are quite smooth and shows the contrast in textures well. Normally I like more detail in water shots like this, but for that purpose it serves. Wondering if the blacks could be deepened slightly and whether cloning out the leaf on the far rock in the center would be beneficial. I just love doing moving water work like this. It’s so much fun!

So I like both versions. The crop version is more focused, but also a little more static. The image is good source material. Multiple interpretations are possible.

Thanks, Will. I did yet another version where I cleaned up the area just below the rock (that I removed in the repost) on the LHS (I’m learning the lingo!). It looks better! A compromise. Here it is.

Very nice. That one is the winner for me.

-Will

Thanks, Will!

Susanna the photo is beautiful and the repost is my favotite too. This image is an excellent exemple for me of a very good B&W conversion.

1 Like

The ‘compromise’ is my favorite too! Beautiful image, such rich tonal values…

Thanks, @brenda_tharp , @Giuseppe_Guadagno, @WillR, @Kris_Smith , and @Gill_Vanderlip thanks for your help with this image! I’m happy with the repost!