Big King

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Nikon 600mm f/4E FL + TC-14E II @ 850mm on Nikon D850, f/5.6, 1/1600 s., ISO 160

What technical/artistic feedback would you like if any?

all welcome!!

Sometimes you get a shot which you had never thought you’d ever get, or perhaps never thought would even be possible. In the late afternoon on day 6 of our safari we were watching a couple of male and female lions. The males were quite interested in the females, and one of the females decided to walk towards our Land Cruiser to perhaps escape a bit from the unrelenting attention of the males. As the female was standing very close to our car, one of the males walked straight towards us, and straight to my 600mm f/4 lens…

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

What an opportunity, for sure, Henk. I can’t image how I would have handled that opportunity, probably would have hit all the wrong buttons on the camera! You captured wonderful detail right where it needed to be, his eyes and face. The background is nicely out of focus, drawing the eye to the subject. Like I said, not sure how I would have handled it, with the adrenaline pumping, but, it sure would have been nice if you could have turned the camera to catch a vertical shot (and, maybe you do have one in your batch of shots that you probably got off). It would give the lion some “room” to walk, and eliminate the wasted space on each side of him. It is a nice shot though, and one to be pleased to have had a chance to capture. I just noticed that this is the first post for you, so welcome to NPN, and I do hope that you find this site a great place to learn, and a nice community of photographers to enjoy in the forums.

Hi Henk!
Welcome to NPN!
An impressive frame to start your innings! A great subject walking straight into the camera, the eye contact and the flying mane all add up to the image!
I agree with Shirley that some more room at the bottom would help.
Looking forward to more frames from your camera!
Cheers!

A nice clean portrait. The texture in the mane is magnificent. I’ll echo what the others have said about a bit more room at the bottom. I like the choice of a horizontal composition, however, with that nice smooth background.

Max