Bigleaf Maple

I was looking for the foliage of a Bigleaf Maple that was not a far along but when I happened upon this scene, I could not pass it by.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any comments are appreciated

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon R5, 100mm Macro Lens, f/29, 1/250, Ring Flash

That’s beautiful, with the black background and bright, new leaves. You did really well to avoid reflections, and the centred composition works a treat for me. Well done!

You captured beauty where few people would look. Strong, dynamic image enhanced by the dark background.

Really nice image, Don. And welcome back. This works on many levels, the colors contrasted with the black background, the positioning within the frame. I can see why you couldn’t pass it by. Well done.

Thank you for your comments. I hope to be able to post more frequently.

I hope you do post more, Don. Sorry I missed this one. It’s really striking. I don’t believe I’ve ever seen this kind of maple before. Are those flowers in the middle? Quite a nice contrast in shape and texture with the leaves. The flash kept the background out of the frame nicely. f/29 got all that lovely detail.

Hi Kristen,

Thanks for your comments. The Bigleaf Maple is common in its range, on the west coast. It’s range extends to the western foothills of the Sierra and Cascade ranges. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acer_macrophyllum

I should have realized that the range of the Bigleaf Maple extends to the east side of the Cascade Mountains since that is where my photo was taken, about 7 miles east of Hood River, OR.

Wow, I did not realize this was in Oregon…I live in Portland so not too far from Hood River. Will have to check out the scenery out there.

Hi David,

Am I correct that my replies to you with this e-mail address is not public?

Don