Big Leaf Maple Ecosystem

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

We’ve finally had a good “atmospheric river” come through and give us a good start on our winter rains. I went down to our urban waterfall yesterday (it was mostly dry) to see what I could make of it and was drawn to this Big Leaf Maple trunk growing at an angle over the river and giving me just the right angle to match a focal plane I could achieve. The ferns are Licorice Ferns and mostly grow on deciduous trees in this area, particularly Big Leaf Maple.

Specific Feedback

Anything you can think of: crop, lighting, color, etc.

Technical Details

Sony A7Riv, FE 70-200 f/4 macro with polarizer @ 200 mm, tripod, f/7.1, 1/40, iso 7.1. Processed in LR & PS CC. Crop, microcontrast boost with Topaz Detail 3, and the TK Make it glow on the tree. I also eliminated one decidedly offensive twig.

Quite evocative to me as I spend a lot of time on river banks. This just says riparian to me. The small ecosystem fitting into the larger - I like the river behind that gives me that larger sense. And of course, little fern forests are so charming and special. Haven’t heard of Licorice fern before so thanks for that. I wonder about having a go at enhancing the directionality of the light on the trunk and ferns. It’s there, but lowering the darks/shadows and raising the whites/highlights in that particular spot might give a more 3D effect.

Dennis: What a neat little scene. I love the color palette and the fine details in the moss and ferns. Compositionally I think I would prefer more BG on the right and less on the left as this arrangement feels imbalanced a bit. I think if the proportion of river BG right and left was reversed that the flow of the image would feel better. In any event, well seen and nicely captured. >=))>

Thanks, @Bill_Fach. I’ll go back and look at this and adjacent frames to see if I have more river on the right.

Are you sure this isn’t the ankle and heel of an Ogre? Sometimes my imagination runs away with me @Dennis_Plank