Rain Forest Tunnel

These Big Leaf Maples in the Olympics are in dense shade all summer, but in winter the rain causes the moss to swell and green up and the lack of leaves allows light in. On this early January day I found this line of trees with the side light making them glow. Most of my time processing this was cleaning up the litter and distracting twigs. It also took a little dodge & burn to keep the focus in the middle.

Specific Feedback Requested

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
0.5 sec at f/10 and 4 frames focus stacked

1 Like

Rick. What a magical image. The entire image looks almost otherworldly. I love the lighting on the trees that contrasts with the deep brooding forest appearance of the background. My only suggestion is to crop out the black area above the brown horizontal branch at the top and to also crop out a little of the foreground.
Great work!

Rick, this is indeed a magical image. The light and glow on the moss is superb, and that is usually the key to making these rainforest images work. And the layer of trees in the composition creates a great sense of depth, my eye just gets pulled right down that tunnel. And as a nice small touch, i love how the ferns are hanging down from the top branch. My only suggestion would be the same as the one from @John_Moses . Eliminating the dark space at the top is a subtle, but important tweak, it makes the framing more effective.

Ed,

As Landscape Moderator, do you know why my posted “Rain Forest Tunnel” isn’t showing in Landscape Critiques? Since you and John Moses commented on it, I assume you saw it somewhere.

-Rick

I see it in Landscape Critiques

Rick, I see it in Landscape Critiques when I go to that category, and it is tagged with Landscape Critique as well. How are you viewing the site ? I navigate to it by going Community / Categories / Landscape Critiques, which is just one way to get to it.