Maple Delight with suggested edit

Original

Cloned out Leaf Blight suggested by Igor plus slight mid-tone contrast added

This is another image from my Zion 2021 trip taken on October 23rd. In a side canyon I had not ever been to before I found a grouping of maple trees that were just hitting their prime. I used shallow depth of field to create a sense of depth so the scene wasn’t so distracting. This was taken in deep shadow with no direct light but there was some reflected light making it’s way through all the tree branches creating a real sense of warmth.

Specific Feedback Requested

Nothing specific. Just feedback. Thank you.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Nikon Z7ii, 24-70 f/4 z lens, 49mm, ISO 64, 1/100th @ f/4.0 which is wide open for this lens. October 23rd early morning.

3 Likes

Gorgeous light across this scene, David… :+1:

Great light and composition. The BG blur is just right.

Beautiful color, light and the DOF works really well. Excellent image.

Simply gorgeous!! A print and frame!

Really nice David. The separation achieved by light is particularly attractive to me. I guess those are holes ridged by white in the leaves. I would remove them because they look like they were caused by processing. I don’t know how you feel about that. I would do it to at least the one in the central leaf.

Thanks for your comments @Ola_Jovall , @Harley_Goldman , @Diane_Miller , @Paul_Breitkreuz and @Igor_Doncov. Igor, I will go ahead and remove the leaf blight (not sure what causes it, probably bugs eating them) as there are several leaves with holes going through them. I initially thought I would leave them but you are right when you say it looks like some sort of weird processing error. I’ll repost tonight when I get home and can rework it. Thanks again everyone.

1 Like

Wonderful light and colour with lovely bokeh background that sets the whole thing off.

Great use of selective focus and targeted light, I love the degree of separation from the background that you achieved. The effect of the branches floating above the background makes for a very unusual and interesting image. Well done David.