Birch & Lowbush Blueberry

Due to Covid I decided not to take a chance and head to Acadia this year, so I thought I would post an image from last Octobers trip to Acadia. I am always looking for scenes with the colorful lowbush blueberry surrounding the clean whites of the birch. I found this lovely specimen while driving the park loop road. I no sooner stopped the truck and got set up when three or four cars decided to stop and crowd in and take their hand held pictures. :angry: Fortunately they were gone rather quickly and I had the place to myself again. This is a two image stack for DOF. I decided to go with this crop as there was a very unsightly dead clump on the left side. As always thanks so much for taking a look and leaving a thought.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

All C&C welcome

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

All C&C welcome

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
Nikon D800, Nikon 80-200 @ 125 mm, f 14 @ 1/50 sec, ISO 800, CPL, cable release & tripod

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

This is exquisite Ed. In a vacuum I would have guessed Wonderland for sure, so I think WV makes for a good substitute. Two small touches really appeal to me, the curl of the birch paper on the right, and the way the blueberry leaves are isolated against the left side of the birch. The processing of the color of the blueberry leaves looks right on the money, this is how they really look. My only suggestion would be maybe just a tiny crop from the left, just to take the birch slightly more off-center. But that is a nitpick, this image is great as presented.

This had me chuckling a bit. I went out of my way to avoid people this autumn due to Covid concerns. But the mere presence of a tripod seemed to act as a magnet to Instagram phone shooters. I’d be stopped roadside somewhere and the instant they saw that tripod they just had to stop to see what I had. At times I felt like I was Pac Man in the old video game, being chased away from a shooting location by the people who just had to come over to where I was shooting. Invariably they would say “I thought you were photographing a moose” and then they would move along when they determined no antlers were present.

Wow, what striking color! I agree with Ed M. on those little touches of the bark curl and leaves against the trunk - they give this some personality.

:rofl: Ed, you could make a sign to hang on your back - “No Moose Here, Move Along, Move Along”

Nice idea, but the Instagramers would probably want a shot of that too :grin:

Ed, this is a striking collection of blueberries set of beautifully by that white birch trunk and it’s interesting patterns.

This is really nice Ed. First off, you had me at red (my favorite color). :grinning: This is the kind of image that I would typically overlook in search of the wider scene. You have captured it nicely. Really no nits from me - this is really nice!