Subtle Wonderland

Wonderland is one of my favorite places to visit during October while in Acadia NP. The place is so alive and vibrant with color and diversity during the autumn season. For this image a lot of the colorful lush red leaves of the lowbush blueberry plant had dropped, but I still found it to be beautiful with the muted colors. I have a couple more with the bushes adorned in all their color that I will post later. As always thanks for taking a look and leaving a thought.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

All C&C welcome

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

All C&C welcome

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
Nikon D800, Nikon 17-35 @ 35 mm, f 16 @ 0.5 sec, ISO 400, CPL, cable release & tripod, three images stacked for DOF

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
3 Likes

Nice shot Ed. Was this on our last trip? I like the nice dispersal of muted yellows and greens throughout. The FG grasses add a lot of texture and the BG forest finishes off the image nicely.
:vulcan_salute:

Ed, I like this image. But I am missing the colors you use on your work on your website. They are more saturated in my view. This image therefore looks a bit dull to me. IMHO.

Ed, I can understand that this is a great place to stroll around. Your image makes it a place where I would like to be.
However, the scene appears a bit messy for me; I don’t find a spot that really pulls my attention.
Opposed to @Ben_van_der_Sande: The colours look fine to me. I don’t like overly saturated colours.

Many thanks @Michael_Lowe, @Ben_van_der_Sande and @Han_Schutten for taking a moment and leaving your thoughts. Always appreciated.
@Michael_Lowe: This was on our last trip. It was the second evening we went over and a lot of the lowbush blueberry had dropped most of their crimson leaves.
@Ben_van_der_Sande: This particular section the lowbush blueberry had dropped most of there leaves so it more about the earthtones. I have a few images from this area which I will post later that are more in line with what you are suggesting.
@Han_Schutten: I was attracted to this spot just because of the muted colors instead of the lush vibrant reds that I have in some of the other images from the two visits.

1 Like

Ed,

A little late here, but just wanted to chime in and say how much I’m enjoying this one. I actually love the colors as presented and especially like the diversity and range of colors - looks quite natural to me. and the mix between grass, bush/plants, trees/saplings, etc. - are balanced nicely.

My only suggestion would be to selectively reduce the cyan in the lone, bare trunk on the left. Not a huge deal, but my observation.

Beautifully seen and captured.

Lon

Many thanks @Lon_Overacker for your thoughts, glad you enjoyed the image. This was a scene that caught my eye shortly before Mike and I wrapped it up before heading back to catch a bite to eat. I had not noticed the cyan in the tree until you pointed it out. I am thinking about making a print of this so I will be sure to correct that.

Ed, I’m really enjoying the subtle colours and all of that texture. This is one image that I could keep looking at for a really long time!

Thanks so much for your thoughts @Tom_Nevesely. I am glad you enjoyed the image.