Birch polypore

A big, beautiful example of Birch polypore fruiting on what is now a dead birch. It’s about 4 inches across and this is a 24-image stack. I really liked the way the two logs frame it and I did my best to emphasize the differences in textures - birch polypore (Piptoporus betulinus) is exceptionally smooth and silky. I love touching them - they’re quite firm and dry and usually persist for many years.

Specific Feedback Requested

I think this works, but what do I know? Mushrooms are my jam.

Technical Details

Tripod and probably a CPL on the lens
In-camera focus bracketing for a total of 24 shots used.

Lightroom for general adjustments to each shot - the usual S-curve, texture and sharpening.
Zerene for a DMap target image filled in with PMax detail where needed.
Photoshop for some luminosity masking to target clarity and dodging and burning. Also some distraction removal.

Excellent! I love the surface cracks on smooth mushrooms like this! For me, the bark competes with it a bit, but it does show the environment.

This sure works for me, Kris. I too like the way the two logs frame the mushroom. Even though it is a stack, the logs and the mushroom were far enough from the leaves on the ground that they are oof, which seems more natural in a photo. Great shot, and I can’t think of anything to improve it.

Thanks @Diane_Miller & @Shirley_Freeman - this is a biggish stack and so I think I’ve got frames where only the mushroom is in focus and not the bark. At least maybe not as much of the bark. I thought that would look weird, but maybe I should try it so the bark isn’t as much of a competitor for attention.

1 Like