Violet toothed polypore

A 17-image stack of some Trichaptum biforme polypore mushrooms. They’re a little worse for wear and some are missing, but they are one of the most frequently found mushrooms in a hardwood forest because they are aggressive colonizers of dead wood and contribute the most to breaking down logs, branches and stumps. Found in my front yard.

Specific Feedback Requested

I can go shoot these again since they’re just out front - any ideas to make this better are welcome.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Tripod

Lr for initial adjustments to exposure, white balance, contrast & texture, sharpening and setting white and black points. Zerene for a stack of 17 out of 21 shots in the sequence. I used the 0/+ method starting with the closest bit to my lens, probably +4 step. It needed a little retouching in Zerene then back to Lr to massage the same things again since the new TIF was a little different than the one I sent in. I believe this is a DMap image. Cropped to 5x7 ratio.

@the.wire.smith

Kris, you are so good with mushrooms, and looks like they are readily available for you to capture in your area. I love the dark hard wood, and the colors and textures in it. It really makes the lighter colored mushrooms stand out nicely. Very nice. I can’t think of anything to improve it.

Thanks @Shirley_Freeman - I am a bit obsessed with photographing them. If you want to see the level of that obsession, check out my Smugmug Gallery. It’s crazy. I was a bit hesitant to show that much of the log it is fruiting on, but then thought it showed nicely how they contribute to the recycling of nutrients.

1 Like

Fascinating – as is your Smugmug page!! I never knew there were so many different mushrooms. I can see why you love to photograph them – looks like no two are alike, even the same species.

Thanks @Diane_Miller - hiking with me is sometimes a trial. When I lived in NH another photographer and I coined the phrase “time sucking mushroom log” because we could spend an hour happily photographing small things on log. We’d start, stop and realize a long time had passed and we hadn’t even noticed.

Kris: This comp works really well for me and the stack looks flawless. Nice find and a superb capture. >=))>

Thanks, @Bill_Fach - they looked too good to pass up!