Birches, Cape Breton

Image: Birch trees along the Cabot Trail (Highway 30) in Pleasant Bay, Cape Breton, Nova Scotia

Quite eye-catching. The main trees are striking and I wonder if there was a better composition to be made here. The right side doesn’t really add much in my opinion. By walking around more you may have been able to isolate the birches and get better separation with the front and rear trees. Also to not cut off the lowest part of the one in the front. I’d be curious to see what else you may have from this location. I like the exposure and the focus looks decent.

Thanks, Kristen – I’m sure you’re right that this could have been done better. I should have taken more time with it. Appreciate the feedback.

I think this is a great composition for such a busy scene. The main tree in the middle overlapping the two smaller ones behind it isn’t ideal but almost every forest scene is a matter of compromise. The greens here could be desaturated a bit. I also think I would fill in those gaps in the canopy up in the top right edge.

Thanks, Eric. Now I wish I could go back and try again. :slight_smile: