Shelburne Birches

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques: Nikon D800, 35-135 @ 62, 1/10 sec @ f’19, ISO 800

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
Shelburne, NH is noted for it’s grove of birches dedicated to it’s soldiers who fought in WW2. I found this right on the side of the highway.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
3 Likes

Very nice, Michael. A simple, colorful, center balanced comp. The reds really pop, the birches look pristine and engage the viewer providing a strong anchor and great highlight area. Well done on some great young New England colors.

Really great fall colors Mike! I missed being up in New Hampshire this fall. Looks like it was a great foliage year!

I love the bright, saturated colors against the white bark, and the distribution of color is good combined with the strong V of the tree.

I would crop a slice off the left to get rid of the white trunk on the edge, and the whites look a little cyan, moreso at the top of the image. In the large version, I noticed a clone error where the small branch overlaps the left tree trunk.

Thanks @Stephen_Stanton
:vulcan_salute:

Thanks @Craig_Moreau. LOL. Don’t look too close or you will see probably 100 cloning errors. I don’t know how others feel about cloning stuff out, but I spent so much time searching for a comp I wanted with some nice slender white birches, I wanted to come away with something useable when I finally found these. To me, the original is total crap with all the dark trunks and branches. I hastily cloned stuff out for web presentation.
:vulcan_salute:

Michael, your cloning effort is pretty amazing. Leaving that great white “V” surrounded by dramatic colors. The colors strike me as a bit over saturated, but they do work well against those two birch trunks.

Once you fix all the cloning errors, Mike, please print this. This is simply gorgeous. It works beautifully to me. My suggestion is to go one step further to remove the remaining white trunk slightly visible on the edge of the frame.

Mike,
I knew you had a winner when you wanted to stop and check the couple of birches out. The color palette works beautifully in this scene with the red maple leaves contrasting perfectly with the white of the birch clump. I can spot a few cloning errors, but I have to say this is well worth spending some more time on with some fine tuning. After that this will really sing.

Beautiful and bold. Good suggestions above and a fine image. Colors work well for me. No other thoughts that were not mentioned.

I actually like the uncloned version Michael. Gorgeous color.

I think you did a really fine job here! It’s just a beautiful image I don’t think I can add anything that hasn’t already been said.

I might agree with that. I’m not sure it was necessary to remove every bit of sky coming through the leaves, although it’s a common criticism. There isn’t a great deal of difference between the two versions. It was hard to go wrong. Beautiful image, indeed.

Great capture Michael. The colors, clarity and fullness of the foliage makes this a winner in my book. However, I’d be curious to see this in a 4:5 format with the top portion, which is bite more barren of fall color, deleted. Just a suggestion. Hopefully in 2020 our paths will cross. Love to see you both.