Bird Island Sunset

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any pertinent technical details:

Harris Beach State Park, Brookings, Oregon. I love this place! Bird Island (also called Goat Island) is a National Wildlife Sanctuary and breeding site for such rare birds as the tufted puffin. The park offers sandy beaches interspersed with rocky outcroppings harboring interesting tidepools with their wide variety of life. Sea stacks dot the ocean just off shore and offer many different possibilities for sunset images.
5 D Mark III
24-105
iso 100
1/3 ev
f 22
28 mm
tripod

Comments are always appreciated, I’m especially wondering about the color of the clouds.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Paula,

Very easy to see why you love this place! A beautiful coastal sunset. Great composition with a dynamic sky and sunset; surf and reflections in the sand.

Color of the clouds look great, perhaps even understated; meaning I think you have room to boost the color/sat if you so desired. While you’re working on the sky, maybe darken the highlights to the left of the main island/rock.

The rest are pretty minor suggestions, tweaks. Understand the time of day and we can’t expect great details in the shadows, but for me, they’re a little dark. As is the LRC. Also minor might be reducing the cyan in the “white water” of the waves.

I like the timing and water motion around the rocks on the beach.

This is a beautiful coastal image as presented, but also has the potential for being even better!

Lon

Great composition and processing. I agree with Lon that you could even add more color to the sky, looks like it really lit up. The only thing I might change is to lighten the rocks in the foreground a bit so you can get a bit more detail.

Oh, I really love this image. I’m not sure why. You’ve got that wonderful sky but it’s all those dark shapes and reflections that make it work together. It’s dramatic in a real way, not processed to be dramatic. It’s honest drama. I guess that’s why it comes across so well to me. I would be hesitant to do any color enhancements.

I love this image, Paula. I would love to have the opportunity to visit and shoot off a few shots, in hopes of capturing something this good.

I think this image is really tastefully done in all regards. The sea in the back looks powerful, the colors and reflections are serene. The processing is on point. I think any suggestion from me would just come from a personal preference. I would make the blue in the background water a little less saturated, but that is a nitpick. Bravo!

Paula, really nice work! I agree with Igor’s comments on this one and would hesitate to add much color. I think it is personal preference but I like the mood and color as presented!

Paula, I love the mood of this image, it makes me feel like I’m there for this sunset. And your composition is very powerful as well, I especially like the semi-triangle shape created by the rocks. While this image is very strong as presented, I think Lon’s suggested minor tweaks would take it up even another notch.