Bird of Paradise

This is a Mexican Bird of Paradise flower taken with my iPhone on an evening walk around the neighborhood. Every year they re-grow from the root, and if we get enough monsoon moisture put on quite a show. They grow quite fast, and you can see lots of new fronds emerging on this one. This composition was not an option the following evening.

Specific Feedback Requested

Things ended up being pretty much centered here. I don’t think it detracts too much but let me know if you have any thoughts on this.

Technical Details

iPhone SE (1st gen). Developed in Camera Raw and Photoshop.

2 Likes

Beautiful!! There is a calm feeling here, despite a fairly bold / busy / complex subject. And I have had that feeling about everything I remember you posting in the couple of years I’ve been hanging out here. I love the centering – with two main elements, it just feels right to me. The large leaf is so interesting, and the light on it emphasizes its shape and character, and the other leaves support without competing. And the flower is so 3D, with a lovely range of colors that are bold without being blown out – difficult to manage in that color range with any sensor! You have definitely found some magic!!

If I had one suggestion, it would be to darken the almost-horizontal stem of the BG leaf at the bottom. And maybe the almost-vertical one in the UR corner. Their nearness to the frame edges pulls my eye. And darken the very small lighter leaf tip in the UL.