Bird of Paradise

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What improvements could be made?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Do you find the background distracting?

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Gorgeous detail in the flower, Larry. Yes I do find the background a bit distracting. It would help with feedback if you listed your focal length, f/stop, etc. I’m guessing you stopped down quite a bit to get this relatively large bloom all in such crisp focus, which unfortunately means the background is going to show a lot of detail. The only two ways I know to avoid that are to use focus stacking or to use an artificial background. When I go out to deliberately take wildflower images, I’ll usually put some stiff felt sheets in my bag. You can pick up 11x17 inch ones at craft stores. I’ll carry a black a gray and a white usually, though a fairly neutral green can be useful as well. Some people will take out of focus pictures of gardens or fields and print them on matte paper to use as backdrops.

You give great advice Dennis, I am really glad I found this forum. :smile:

Larry: One of my favorite subjects. I like how you got this one at the end of its life cycle. I’m OK with the BG except on the right side. Looks like a wall or a fence. A camera angle coming from a bit more to the right would have left that out and put the natural BG all across the frame. You might also have had a slightly more direct POV with the plane of focus more parallel with the plane of the camera/sensor. I use my DOF preview a lot in situations like this to get a feel for the impact of my chosen aperture. I’m a single capture guy but if you’re inclined to learn to stack that would be another option. I’m liking your images. Keep 'em coming. >=))>

Thanks for the feedback Bill!

I agree that the bird of paradise is in sharp focus and positioned nicely. The background does compete with your main subject. There are so many ways to change the background, both in-camera and using software after the fact. Play around with PS. The image is worth the time.

Thanks Patricia. I need to get serious about learning PS.