After the frost

What technical feedback would you like if any? open to all

What artistic feedback would you like if any? any

Any pertinent technical details: D810, handheld, 105mm, 3.5f, iso 400, 1/160

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Dayna: I don’t recall you posting here so welcome to NPN in general and to Flora in particular. Spent flowers can make interesting subjects and I like the colors of the petals and the BG. From a composition standpoint the clipped petal on the bottom and the one touching the edge don’t work that well. I would like there to be quite a bit more room on the bottom. The OOF flower on the right side also grabs some attention. A camera angle from a spot more to the right so that the BG is a little cleaner would suit me better. Still a fine early effort and looking forward to more from you. >=))>

1 Like

Thank you! I appreciate the input. I kind of knew the problems with this but I still like it. I have work to do for sure. Thanks for the welcome. I hope to get much better!

1 Like

Hi Dayna. I like the subject and the concept of the image and Bill has covered most of the issues. I’ll just add that for shots like this a tripod helps a great deal. If you had a calm day, it would have let you stop down to get all those cool wilted petals in sharp focus. I also try to carry some string in my kit to tie back unwanted background elements.

A very good eye to see the merit of this image, and I look forward to seeing more.

1 Like

Thank you, So far I’ve been shooting on the fly, mostly handheld. I need to use my tripod more and think out the shot better, for sure. Thanks for the comment.

I like the overall feel of this image, though I do agree with Bill concerning the petals and the viewpoint. The light on the background gives a lovely variation in tone, but I might be inclined to lighten the flower centre just a little so we could take in the forms of the stamens more easily. Good subject !

1 Like

Welcome! Great eye to have seen this! Excellent possibilities…
The “nits” are covered well by the others, so I’ll just say I look forward to more of your posts!
Sandy

1 Like

Good eye to see the possibilities in this subject. Besides the suggestion to give the flower more space in the image so it doesn’t “kiss” the edges, if you could move around to where the other background flower was less prominent that would help. If you have PS that has content aware/fill, that would allow you to delete the background flower in post processing.

1 Like