In the Purple

What technical feedback would you like if any? Have missed the focus on the front white petal - does this matter ?

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Not sure which crop is better - I wanted to suggest something of the surroundings of the flower and have set it off centre in the more generous crop. Maybe better to crop down as in the second version ?

Pertinent technical details or techniques: Canon 7D, Tamron 55-200 @ 200, 1/125 @ f5.6, ISO 400

(If the background has been replaced, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
**You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

And the more tightly cropped version.

1 Like

Nice feeling and use of color. I prefer the second one because of more headroom. Having the largest and centered pedal OOF is a consideration.

Ian: I definitely like the tighter version as I find the OOF bright area on the left and the slightly clipped petal up top to be more of a distraction than the FG petal. I do like your POF although the DOF is a little awkward. I think I would either like more to see the FG petal sharp or less so that the FG petal was more OOF. The colors are wonderful and I like the BG a lot. >=))>

I prefer the second version, Ian. the extra room on the top seems to work better, and the area you cropped off the left didn’t add to the image for me. I really like the result here. I need to try working with shallower depth of field for floral images-I think it adds a nice feel. This one is excellent.

I like the first image as it has room to breath. A beautiful presentation with a flower that is sometimes is not so cooperative.

Beautiful, soft scene. Intimate small-scale nature, I do like better the square version, but the other is good as well. I like the soft out-of-focus lower left part…