Flowering branch

What technical feedback would you like if any? any

What artistic feedback would you like if any? any

Any pertinent technical details:

D810, f/8 1/320 iso 400 122mm hand held

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

Excellent detail and depth of field, Dayna. I love the forms of the flowers and the budding branch. I don’t know where you cropped this from the original, but a bit more room above the upward flowing branch would give it room to grow and you might want to remove the partial blossom coming into the top of the frame-that kind of thing tends to give the eye a chance to escape from the image.

An excellent eye to see this composition.

1 Like

Thank you! There was another branch that interfered so that was the best I could get when I cropped it. I appreciate the advice. I have to learn more about using Lightroom and Photoshop to remove the flaws. Lots to learn!

You have all the elements here to make a great image, Your choice of b&w works well, Subject is in focus and there is good depth of field. I agree that the partial flower on the upper left could be removed and a little more room on the top would make the branch more prominent in the image. Look forward to seeing more of your work.

1 Like

Thank you, I appreciate it.

An interesting image with a lot going for it. Pardon me for fiddling with it, but I thought I would try a few changes. I felt the balance was a bit off with the almost square crop, so I cropped some of the space on the right. I went along with Dennis’ suggestion, but I added height with a content aware crop rather than borrowing space from the probably messy branch you mentioned. The detail was excellent, but I felt it could use a little more structure in the midtones and highlights via Topaz Studio. I took a few liberties with the tonal range as well, via NIK’s Silver Efex.

1 Like

You have an interesting subject here. The lighting and dark background can be very effective. I’d recommend you revisit this setting and play around with different angles and compositions. It’s easiest if you keep it minimalist to start. In this “artificial” setting, you’ll learn alot about leading lines, off-centered compositions (e.g. rule of thirds), “gesture”.

1 Like

Very nice. Thanks for the input!

Dayna: What Phil did and said. He mirrors my thoughts exactly. Keep the posts coming. >=))>

1 Like