Iris at Botanical Gardens

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Anything you might see that would help.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Anything that might help.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If the background has been replaced, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

Canon 7D Mark II, Canon 180 mm L macro lens, handheld, f9, 1/640, ISO 1600 (manual exposure) with black velvet for background, edited in LR and Topaz AI Clear.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

Hi Shirley: Nice light and processing on the Iris. I also like the dark background to eliminate any distractions. I keep being drawn to the bud in the lower right. I would remove it completely.

Thank you, Keith. I wondered about that. I appreciate your input.

Shirley, a gorgeous closeup of this Iris. The lighting, background, and overall processing is wonderful…:+1:
Although I certainly like this as is, the suggested removal of the bud in the LR is an excellent idea and alternate view for sure…:sunglasses:

1 Like

As others have said, a beautiful flower presented to its best advantage. For me the bud balances the composition and should remain.

Shirley: Wonderful light on this beauty. I’m OK with the bud but my suggestion would be to show its connection to the stem so it doesn’t look like a disembodied element. Pretty darn nice color palette too. >=))>

Shirley, I like your choice of using lower saturation colors in the flower against the black background. The more muted colors creates a softer feeling than having richer colors and higher contrast against a black background, I like your approach on this image. I think the softer colors lets one appreciate the flower more than you would if the colors were more saturated.

I can see where @Paul_Breitkreuz and @Bill_Fach are coming from on the lower bud. I think cloning it away would create a very striking portrait of the main flower. If you prefer to have the bud there for more balance, which does makes sense too, then I think Bill makes a good point about showing it being connected, especially since it is so close to the main stem as you have presented it. When i first started out in photography I belonged to a camera club, and the judges always preferred having odd numbers of things vs. even numbers. I think Bill’s comment would turn this from having even to odd, and you would still get the compositional balance you seek.

1 Like

Thank you for taking the time to write such a nice review, providing very helpful info about the color saturation, etc. That is how we learn. I haven’t gone back to look at my other shots from that day to see if I have one that has the stem of the lower bud connected. Hopefully I did. Again, thank you, I appreciate the feed back.

The lighting looks very natural here as does the black velvet, Shirley. When I opened the large version the colors and details of the iris really came to life. I also like the diagonal placement as it adds a little visual tension to this still life. My only suggestion would be to clone out the unopened bud because it is not connected to the main stem. Really nice image.

1 Like

As I learn how to view portfolios on the Network. I came across this photo of yours…
this is really beautiful !!! The colors and how you framed it. Really nice… I’m glad you didn’t take out the stem or bulb in the lower right. That gives it a more natural look and in my way of thinking … Balance… … The lighting is really nice. very natural …

Great photo…

1 Like