Bird on a wire

Barbed wire is not by definition my favorite perch for a bird. But, when the BG is pleasing enough and the wire a little rusty, I am more than happy to shoot. This is a small shrike species, the Woodchat Shrike. Usually shy birds, so in my experience only doable from the car. Which is exactly what I did.

Specific Feedback Requested

I could have cropped the image more to have the shrike bigger in the frame, but felt this quite balanced. Does this work?

Technical Details

Nikon Z9 with 500mm f4 | 1/800s | f4 | ISO900 | overexposed 2/3EV | from care window

3 Likes

Hi Hans
I agree with not photographing bird on barbed wire, but in this case it works. The Shrike fits in-between the barbs and with a soft background, makes this tiny bird standout. You did a good job on the color, feathers detail and contrast, the red, whites and black all look right.
Peter

Always nice to see birds from other regions, whether on a wire or not. I like the composition-where the bird is placed in the frame- and the soft, pastel background.

It works for me, Hans. I like the loose composition. Lot’s of birds prefer human made perches like wires because it gives them infinite opportunities to take off when needed. Even in natural settings, a lot of species choose dead branches well separated from others.

I like the crop and the barbed wire works nicely on this minimalist image, what a beauty