Birds and Fall Reflections

Saw these birds amidst a Fall scene last year.

Self Critique (click to reveal)

I’m wondering about overall composition and the reds in the image. The reds were really strong as shown. I wanted to keep the natural looks of the colors I saw that day without being overdone.

Technical Details

Canon 90D, 70-200 F2.8L IS II, 1.4x extender II
ISO 400, f10, 1/500s, handheld

A beautiful scene like this with birds in it is a definite plus. Nice one.

1 Like

A very nice birdscape image, Allen. I like the peaceful feeling of the scene.

1 Like

Hi Allen,

I think the reds look pretty good. They have room to come down a little bit in saturation if you want but they also don’t seem too overdone how they are at the moment. What I do think you can do is slightly cool down the white balance in the scene, this will give you some more color separation. Right now it has a slight yellow color cast.

I’m no bird photographer by any means, this stuff looks way too hard. I know it can be nearly impossible to get the bird, or in this case, birds, exactly where you want them in the frame most of the time. So, take this with a grain of salt, but judging this purely compositionally, not taking into account the difficulty of the subject matter, it feels a little off to me. The bird standing on the rock feels too close to the left edge, and with the other bird in the middle, the right third of the frame feels very empty, like extra space. I would recommend cropping some of the right side, even though you will lose some of those beautiful trees to try and correct that.

An alternative that I think would work really well, but might betray your personal vision with the scene, would be to crop the bird on the left out entirely, so that the flying bird is the only one in the frame.

Hopefully this is helpful!

Your friend,
Eric

1 Like