Bison in Snow

Bison were very good to me last winter during my Yellowstone visits. There were lots of fun opportunities to capture both wide and tight shots. Many looked good in monochrome, but I liked the splash of color here balanced with the snow spray.

This moment occurred on my first drive through the park during my return in February. I was on my way to our property outside the northeast entrance, which sadly requires me to drive through the park’s northern range, including the Lamar Valley. In the Lamar, a small line of bison was working its way down the steep hill above the road, so I slowed in order to give them space to cross. They picked up speed as gravity took over, and even at only 100mm I ended up with too much lens. But that was fine… as they splashed through the deepest stuff closest to me, I hoped to capture a semi-abstract close-up in this vein. Thankfully, at least one frame came out the way I envisioned.

Canon R6
Canon 100-400mm EF
ISO 800
1/1250th
f/4.5

Max

@maxwaughphoto
6 Likes

A very strong image, Max, The snow spray, the solid eye glint, the horn and woolly tufts all resonate with the enduring power of the species.

1 Like

Outstanding capture, Max. Definitely has an abstract quality to it, but I love the sharpness and the look in his eyes.

1 Like

Beautiful image, Max. I could definitely see this really big on an art exhibit wall.

1 Like

Wow, this is sensational, Max. I love the abstract feel while still fully knowing the subject. Excellent.

1 Like

Wonderful!! You couldn’t have planned it better!

1 Like

Excellent, Max. This is almost an abstract and works extremely well. Very unique and engaging.

1 Like

Max, this Bison snow plow is excellent. The flying snow is great and I like how you’ve emphasized the snow, while making it clear who the pusher is. Hard to feel “bad” about driving the Lamar in winter (except for the danger of slick roads…)

1 Like

Outstanding, Max! The eye, the flying snow, the colour palette and texture, camera speed, composition - just great choices all around. Well done, indeed.

1 Like

Wow, I love this image! I love the snow here.

1 Like