Bisons in snow

Critique Style Requested: Initial Reaction

Please share your immediate response to the image before reading the photographer’s intent (obscured text below) or other comments. The photographer seeks a genuinely unbiased first impression.

Questions to guide your feedback

Minimalistic image of Bisons in now storm, too much negative white space?

Other Information

Please leave your feedback before viewing the blurred information below, once you have replied, click to reveal the text and see if your assessment aligns with the photographer. Remember, this if for their benefit to learn what your unbiased reaction is.

Image Description

Snowy day in Yellowstone, December 2019.

Technical Details

Nikon D500 + Sigma 150-600mm
310mm | f/7.1 | 1/1250s | ISO 500

Specific Feedback

Are the subject clear or too smal on websize image?
Thoughts on composition?

And anything else is always welcome :slight_smile:

I really like this image and composition. Personally, I don’t think there’s too much white space. It gives a very (accurate, probably) cold and remote feel. The only thing I think I might do is lean into it a bit more by either cropping in slightly or removing the bushes near the top edge in post. It seems like having just the bison would work better for me. Love it though!

Now that I revealed your additional comments, I’ll add that I do not think they are too small. Even on a small screen or viewing the small image, their form is clearly bison. You have a good side profile of two in the center, which makes it plain what we’re looking at.

1 Like

The minimalistic feel is perfect for this image. It does seem a little blown out with the abundance of white and wonder if cropping it a bit would allow the bison to standout more. I love the feel and the snow falling, giving the viewer the sense of a winter storm and the struggles of the bison.

Thanks @karlag and @Todd_Grivetti!
Agree on cropping and the bushes. I digged out the original raw image, and seems it was already quite heavily cropped so probably made my original decission partly based on that.

But seems as I was using 150-600mm lens, and the original was at 310mm, I also had few taken with 600mm. So here’s one, little tighter composition but I think it works better tho bisons are not as good positions.

1 Like

@karlag, WOW! Cropping this down to these three is the ticket! I grasp the feeling of the image and storm and feel I am right there with them. The image now feels more Sereal and tells the story of the struggles the bison have in the harsh winter. Beautifully captured.

2 Likes

Both are wonderful images. The tight image better shows the weather and the wide shot shows the isolation. For the latter, I might consider cropping so the bison are more centered vertically and with a bit more space on the left and less on the right.

1 Like