BL Kittiwake

During winter we usually have some Kittiwakes hanging around the shoreline (they breed in Northern Europe, Iceland etc.). I like the first winter birds best, due to the distinct black pattern on their back.

Specific Feedback Requested

I cloned out a 3rd bird which was at a useless angle, but left the 2nd OOF in - does that one add or distract in your view?

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Nikon D500 with 300mm f2.8 + 1,4TC @ 420mm | 1/2500s | f9 | ISO560 | underexposed 1FS | handheld from harbour pier

2 Likes

Nice pose and wing position . I think the composition works; the oof bird gives a sense of depth. Nice to be able to look down(or so it appears) at these birds in flight.

Very well composed with pleasing mirroring images of the birds and a very effective background. Yes, there are a lot of these around Iceland especially out by the cliff areas. They are fairly distinctive.

Nicely accomplished Hans and a good view of something I’ve never seen. Both are well-placed in the frame and set off well from the background. Keeping the one OOF bird was a good idea, not only for the sense of depth, but provides balance to the whole scene.

Thanks @Allen_Brooks , @David_Schoen and @Jim_Lockhart for your reaction !