Black-backed Woodpecker

Going through my files, this is one I took at Lassen NP a few years ago on opening day. A lifer for me.

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any

Any pertinent technical details:

Canon 7D2; 100-400 at 400mm; 1/320 at f6.3; ISO 320

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Really nice detail in the woodpecker, Allen. A species I haven’t seen yet. It looks on my monitor as if there’s a slight blue color cast, particularly noticeable in the fringes of the white feathers and the bark color.

Very nice pose and detail. I have never seen or even heard of this species. It does remind me of a Downy with different color. I can’t really see the color cast on my iPad. If you can see it on your monitor, you can use the desaturate brush to remove it.

I have never seen one of these, either. It is a beautiful bird, and you captured it in a beautiful setting. I really like the perch and background. I don’t know enough about the bird to comment on the color cast, but the branch does look a little blue. If this were mine, I’d try to open up the darks a touch. Also, was this a large crop? The IQ on the larger image isn’t great, but the bird is obviously sharp. I wonder if a looser crop would improve the IQ while still allowing for a pleasing comp.

Hi Allen,
I like the pose and the perch. Also a bird I have not seen before. Nice capture. I agree on trying a looser crop to improve image quality - bird seems a bit soft to me.