Nuttall's Woodpecker, female

A pair have been coming to our feeders, the first year I’ve seen them here. I got lucky yesterday to see this one on a nearby tree and manage a few shots. The BG is a grassy field.

Specific Feedback Requested

All comments welcome!

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon R5, 100-500 + 2X at 1000mm, f/14 (wide open), ISO 800, 1/200 sec, tripod with Wimberley II head. Very slight lightening of blacks in LR, into PS to remove a cut-off branch near the top. Topaz Denoise with its suggested sharpening – hardly noticeable at this size. Horizontal format, full frame top to bottom, cropped from the sides.

This is a dandy shot Diane. Really nice and simple and says a lot. Lovely bg, excellent pose and a woodpecker that can really pick a perch. I also like the compact format.

Excellent image quality and a classic woodpecker pose, Diane. I really like the perch she chose. I wonder if this would look even better with the out of focus moss removed from the left. While it does add something to the environment, it contrasts so much with the crispness of the rest of the image that it almost feels like something got spilled on the photograph.

I agree with the guys that the woodpecker is nicely shot, but it’s the perch that steals the show, here. Well done.

Thanks guys – I think @Dennis_Plank is right. I thought about going back and trying to shoot the lichen in focus but then decided to just remove it – from the tree. Woodpeckers like perching there and I hope to get more shots of them on it. It is quite interesting – it had a run-in with a tractor mower when it was small and we thought it would die, but it recovered and is about 15 ft tall now.

Very nice look at this woodpecker. I like the detail, perch, and the position of the bird. The detail is excellent. I have mixed feelings about the green mossy area on the left of the frame. I’m not sure what you could do to change it. Your idea about going back and focusing on the mossy area itself is a good idea in doing this is a composite.

Excellent detail in the woodpecker against a nice background and with an interesting perch.

This is very similar to the Japanese Pygmy Woodpecker we get in Korea. I love the perch too, like a sandwich, and the lichen doesn’t bother me. Sometimes I blow the white on its chest, but you’ve done a perfect job here!