Another Nuttall's Woodpecker

This is a different pose of the same one I posted recently, on the same tree. There is a male I see occasionally so I’m hoping for more of them soon!

Specific Feedback Requested

All comments welcome!

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon R5, 100-500 + 2X at 1000mm, f/14 (wide open), ISO 800, 1/200 sec, sturdy tripod. Very little done in LR or PS. I removed the lichen that was in the previous picture and an ugly jumble of OOF branches below the tail. NR in Topaz with its sharpening. About a 50% crop.

1 Like

A very nice angle of the perch, Diane, and I like the pose of the woodpecker. The image quality is excellent.

Well done Diane. You have picked a beautiful spot. Lovely bg and perch. Image quality is excellent. I am curious have you physically removed the lichen? I think you have.

Very nice, good shooting angle and nice IQ. BG and perch are excellent.

Thanks guys! @David_Leroy, I clone out the lichen on this one but then actually pulled it down from the tree the next day.

1 Like

The male is just as appealing - another lovely shot. Quick question: why is f14 wide open on the R5?

A nice pose with the woodpecker coming towards you, interesting perch, and nice background. Perfect.

Thanks guys! @Mike_Friel, this was with the 100-500 and I had the 2X on to get 1000mm. The bare lens at 500 is f/7.1 and the 2X takes it to f/14. That’s getting onto thin ice for hand holding where you need a fast SS, but usable on a good tripod.

Very pleasing image with superb composition including diagonals, pose, perch, and background. No nits here…

Thanks, Diane. And I will use my tripod one day!