Black Canyon Sunrise

Hello, this is my first time posting here so hopefully I get it all right. :slightly_smiling_face:

I am currently going through the archives and playing with new techniques since I have been stuck at home. I love editing just as much as I love going out and shooting.

I took this shot a few years ago in the Black Canyon in Colorado and I am curious about any feedback with the editing and also the composition. I processed it 2 slightly different ways and blended the two with luminosity masks and some dodging and burning.

For what it’s worth, I shot this at 75mm, f16, .6 seconds, ISO 100.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Hi Christine. Welcome aboard. This one really shines when viewed large, with it great detail and vibrant color. Your processing looks spot on to my eye and it is a real nice image. I look forward to seeing more of your work and reading your input on the work of others.

Christine,

Welcome to NPN! Great to have you here and what an exception first landscape image post.

Ditto to everything Harley said - and more. I must say that I think this is the finest image I’ve seen from this area of Colorado. The luminosity balance between the sky and canyon landscape just appears perfectly handled. The glow against the mountain peaks is beautiful, yet doesn’t dominate or take away from the details, colors and textures of the canyon.

Ok, I found on teeny element, or nit as we call them. You might consider cloning out the small patch of leaves intruding bottom center. If anything if you decide to print this - and you should!

Looking forward to your images and participation.

Lon

Welcome to NPN Christine. I’ve driven through Black Canyon many times when we live in Colorado and you have done a fantastic job of capturing this amazing canyon. Truly wonderful photo.

Glad you’re part of NPN. I love the soft light-push coming in from the sunrise. Great leading line with the canyon. Tones are managed well. Nice job!

Welcome to NPN Christine, this is an outstanding first post. I love the concept of this image, it has a tremendous sense of depth. The light and color on the distant mountains is just gorgeous, and gives the viewers eye a a great place to rest after traveling down the canyon. And your processing is excellent, with great detail in the canyon, and you did a nice job of accentuating the light on the mountains too. I look forward to seeing more of your work here at NPN :+1: :+1:

Thank you so much @Harley_Goldman, @linda_mellor, @Doug_Blunt, and @Ed_McGuirk for taking the time to comment and your welcome. I will do my best to participate more often, and to leave some comments for some other people. :slight_smile:

Thank you Lon. I was debating the branches in the middle. (and the guard rail in the background) I guess I don’t have to put my signature on the pictures in here? I find this area a little difficult to photograph. I did an overnight to capture some Milky Way scenes, and got clouded out, so I stayed for sunrise, and I really enjoyed it.