Black Cowled Oriole

Not the best shooting conditions with respect to light but certainly an interesting member of the Oriole family. Harsh overcast conditions with bright sun behind the clouds behind the bird.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

The high key background created some interesting issues in the bright area. Not sure why but there was some magenta and aqua casting which was eliminated by dropping the blue saturation completely to -100. Dropping the magenta or aqua saturation made absolutely no difference.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques: Iso-1250, 500 mm, F8, 1000th, D 500, handheld, 75% full frame

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

A lovely composition, David. Interesting about the saturations. I’ve always been amazed at how much slider movement it sometimes takes to get the change I want. The high key background works very well in this image.

An attractive bird, well shown here. Interesting pose. Works well with the perch. I could see a slight crop on the left to decrease the negative space.

Hi David, I like the high key look to really set off the colors of the bird and perch. Subject well placed in the frame and I like the pose. The eye looks a little funky to me - I guess it’s just the angle towards the sun causing some glare. Nice frame.