Black-cowled Oriole

I saw this Oriole foraging on the palm leaves and really liked the contrast between the bird and the linear elements in the background.

Specific Feedback Requested

Anything.

Technical Details

Sony A1, FE 200-600 + 1.4 TC @ 815 mm, monopod with Wimberley Sidekick mount, f/10 1/3200, iso 10000 (yes, that’s 4 zeroes). I have no idea what I was doing with those setting unless I’d just been trying for flight shots of small birds. Processed in LR & PS CC. Cropped to 6786 x 4566. Taken at 12:37 PM on April 20th.

1 Like

Haha, that is just too funny, Dennis. Love the image.

Nice catch for you both! Orioles are so energetic and acrobatic and those traits come across well here. The geometry and framing are so different from most bird photos. The high ISO is obvious, but the action too intriguing to fault it for that!

Impressive setting and nice diagonals. Superb processing at high iso. Did you ever use fill flash on your trip?

Nicely composed Dennis. I like the subject placement in the frame with the included bug in mouth. The lines from the palm are terrific. Well done.

@David_Schoen Hi David. I never took the flash out of the bag. I asked our guide about it and it was obvious that he wasn’t comfortable with it and it’s his country, so I just let it go.

Funny, I’ve seen this same species just hanging out, upside down before as well.

The pattern of those fronds is a wonderful environment for this subject, and the upside-down pose really helped in this case, not just for its quirkiness, but to show off more of that dazzling yellow.