Black-cowled Oriole on Wire

This wire was part of the main feeding station at Laguna de Lagarta in Costa Rica. The Oriole decided it was a good perch and I liked the composition it created with the curve of the wire. The perches they used at the feeders were chosen to work with Toucans and Parrots and were really too large to work well with the smaller birds (which had a tendency to land directly on the banana cluster anyhow).

Specific Feedback Requested

Anything.

Technical Details

Sony A1, FE 200-600 + 1.4 TC @ 774 mm, Monopod with Wimberley Sidekick mount, f/9, 1/1600, iso 6400, manual exposure. Processed in LR & PS CC. Cropped from a horizontal to 3984 x 5028. Taken at 6:59 AM on April 19th.

2 Likes

Neat pose, but somehow feels remote because of the head angle. Orioles are acrobats though aren’t they? I watched a few high up in some oaks a couple weeks ago, they flitted and dipped and clung to every scrap no matter how flimsy. So fun to watch. You’ve got the blacks dialed in so well here.

Nice catch. I know you like real rich black plumage as posted here. But I think you could light half a stop and bring out more detail in the black plumage,

@David_Schoen You could be right about the blacks. I can see plenty of detail once I let my eyes adjust in the tif file, but it just occurred to me that I might be losing some of that in the conversion to jpeg. I think I’ll play with it some more, but we’ve been home nearly a month and I still have 5 of 12 days left that I haven’t even started processing.

He thinks he’s a Nuthatch! I think the issue with the darks is largely the contrast with the bright BG. Might be possible to darken greens without needing a selection. Or, the bird is sharply outlined and it might be possible to bring down the BG and bring up the bird both. Looks like there is some noise in the darks, though, and that might be frustrating.