Black Grouse fight

A picture from a hide and takan in a low camera position.
April 2019.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Any!

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any!

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

Nikon D850, Nikon 200-500 @ 390 mm, f 1/5.6, 1/1600s, ISO2200

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Great action shot, still on my wish list to visit a such a leck. Obvious comment would be that I would prefer to have both birds fully visible, but the fact that they are clipped is not really a dealbreaker in this case. Amazing ! Cheers, Hans

1 Like

Great action and quite good focus in this image, Lennart. I like the way the right birds head is positioned int the frame-it really pulls the eye into the action. If you have another chance at this, you might think about loosening up the compositions a bit. It’s really tempting to zoom in as much as you can, but I think this could stand to be just a bit looser, though it’s still a great shot. I look forward to seeing a lot more of your work.

1 Like

Maybe you like this one better.

Hi Lennart, great action and the expression on the bird on the right is priceless. A looser composition would have been nice but this still is a fine capture of these birds going at it.

1 Like

I love the graphic lines in this composition, Lennart, though I agree with your decision to go with the initial post as it’s quite a bit more difficult to figure out what’s happening in this image (which isn’t necessarily a bad thing as it keeps people looking longer).

1 Like

Thank you Hans, Dennis and Allen for your opinions and nice comments. :smiley: