Courting grebes

Sharpness, details in light areas.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Overall appeal

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
Canon 7D M II, Canon EF-100-400mm L @ 340mm
1/1000 @ F-7.1 ISO 800, light rain/overcast

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

It’s nice. Unusual lack of detail in the breasts, maybe a exposure issue or needs lower contrast. The mouth of sticks does kinda of cut off the other birds head tho the closeness is nice.
TY for post

Hi John, nice poses you captured of this interaction. A lovely species with those red eyes. I like the environmental feel of the image. My main nit (as Steven mentioned) is the hot whites on the chests of the birds. Otherwise nicely done.

They sure posed nicely for you, John. I love that they both have their heads turned in the opposite direction, and they both have a mouthful of seaweed or something. I am hoping that you can pull some detail back into the hot spots. If shot in RAW, you very well might can, or at least most of it. A fine shot otherwise.

Very nice behavioral image. Vertical comp looks like the right choice. Whites are pretty blown on both birds though and that really hurts the image.