Black-headed Grosbeak

This female (or possibly juvenile?) was attracted to the black sunflower seed in our feeders. I was sitting in my hide with the camera on a tripod or I would have missed the opportunity. It isn’t easy to get them in the very short time before they start feeding, as they will soon have a beak full of sunflower hulls.

Specific Feedback Requested

All comments welcome!

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon R5, 100-500 + 2X at 800mm, ISO 800, f/13, 1/200 sec, soft light with morning sun behind distant trees. Some Shadows and Highlights adjustments in LR, very minor touchup of perch and BG. Topaz Denoise, but I doubt it would show at this magnification.

1 Like

I’ve never seen one of these before so thanks for being patient in your hide. The black shafts on the breast feathers are so interesting. And that beak. That’s an evolutionary marvel for sure. Terrific details and background as usual. Keep 'em coming!

Wonderful, Diane. I’ve seen Grosbeaks before but never a Black-headed one. The spiky perch doesn’t seem to be bothering this little fellow at all. Love how the background compliment the colors of the bird, but it doesn’t overwhelm. Nicely done.

Diane, I am so glad that you were in your hide and able to capture this beauty. The Grosbeak I have seen in our area here in NC is the Blue Grosbeak, and it appears to be considerably larger than this one. Wonderful details in the feathers, and that perch running diagonal looks so natural. Excellent background as well. I can’t think of a thing that would improve this shot.

Very good, Diane. Superb detail in the plumage and a perfect head turn. They’ve been eluding me thus far this year though I’ve seen at least one pair around.

Very nice. Details, bg, and perch are all excellent. A fine capture.

A wonderful image. I do not know anythimg about the bird, but it is very picturesque! The technical issues are perfectly handled, the detailness and structure is amazing and the background pleasently blurred. I also like how you have placed the stick to become a diagonal, and that it cross the bottom part of the frame. Very well done!

Beautiful portrait shot of a good bird, love the feather details and compimentary soft background.

Well done . Enjoyable pose, perch,and background.