Black-headed Gull

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Taken on a sunny day in Tokyo last November. I was trying out a new camera and macro lens. Little did I expect that I would get a chance to catch a bird with a macro! These gulls were habituated to people in the park, but I still had to approach very slowly.

Specific Feedback

The eagle-eyed will probably catch that I cloned out a second bird. Is this too obvious?

Technical Details

Olympus OM-1 + 60mm macro 1/500 f8 ISO 200

Cropped and reduced Brightness and Contrast a little in PS. Added canvas to the left.

Mike, I certainly can’t tell you cloned out another bird. Job well done. The gull is nice and sharp and there is a catch light in it’s eye. The detail in the feathers is very sharp. I like the angle of the railing and the reflection of the bird . I have only one thought. I wonder how it would look if the back ground was darkened even more. I is demanding a lot of attention. Darkening and just a bit or desaturation would make the bird even more important. You have captured a beautiful bird with that macro lens.

Hi Mike, nice catch with your macro lens. To me the bird stands out well even though darkening the BG might give a nice result. The human element of the railing makes sense for a gull image and helps tell a story.

Nice shot and great pose, Mike. I think I see some cloning artifacts in the background, but only when looking closely.