Black locust tree in new snow

This is a lovely old group of Black Locust trees I see in the west from my house and often photograph, usually with a sunset or moon rise behind but also at times when the crooked shapes of the branches are accentuated, as they are here by new snow.

Type of Critique Requested

• Aesthetic: Feedback on the overall visual appeal of the image, including its color, lighting, cropping, and composition.
  • Conceptual: Feedback on the message and story conveyed by the image.
  • Emotional: Feedback on the emotional impact and artistic value of the image.
  • Technical: Feedback on the technical aspects of the image, such as exposure, color, focus and reproduction of colors and details, post-processing, and print quality.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

I was most excited that the new snow contrasted so well with the sky and the bark of the tree. Of course I love the shapes of the tree and the branches in any light and worked to have those contribute to the impact of the image.

Technical Details

Sony6000, 1/200, f/5.6,120mm, ISO125 with adjustments to tone curves, sharpening and slight cropping in LR.

1 Like

This unbalanced composition actually kind of works, doesn’t it? It has a sort of Far East sense about it. I like it.

1 Like

John, excellent image. I love the off balance that counters with the negative space on the right. Composition is wonderful. I get a nice sense of winter here. I don’t know, it might be me, but I see a hint of blue/cyan in the snow on the branches. This would also look pretty cool as a B&W.

Wonderful image, John.

John,

Agree a bit with Igor,

Clearly there was intent in your framing and there is some tension created by this. What a great tree in such a gorgeous winter setting. I don’t know that I would have thought to do this - which just shows that some times one needs to step out of their box and get a little bold. You’ve certainly done that here.

I think your processing is quite excellent! The tones, contrast and luminosity are wonderful.

I think most have a favorite tree around home and have photographed in all seasons, conditions and times of day. I’m guessing that’s the case from your description - and so kudos for stepping out of the box on this one. Well done.

Lon