In the grip of winter

I was struck by the silhouette of this living tree against the backdrop of cold, rock, and ice. I was very cold myself while taking this photo and thought how amazing this tree could survive winter.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any suggestions, comments, and critiques are welcome.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
f/16, 1/20 sec, ISO 200, 160 mm
Converted to black and white in Photoshop

3 Likes

A lot to look at… excellent! No critique, just congrats .

That is one sinister looking tree Tony. I think it was a great idea to use the tree as the main subject, rather than to use it as something to frame the water or cliffs. As result this is a more interesting composition. A very powerful image, great work Tony.

Tony, this is a nicely stark statement about winter survival. Your setting of the tree branches against the bright, frozen background works very well.

Merry Christmas Tony!

I won’t give away your secret… but I just had to comment that this is simply outstanding! I will go as far as saying, the most powerful and impactful image from this location I’ve ever seen!

Excellent choice going with the b&w too. Love this! I’m hoping to head up Sunday in anticipation of snow in the valley!

Lon

Fascinating creation Tony. It’s amazing how a few common subjects can be presented in such a manner to generate so much imagination. I don’t even know how to critique this. It’s not something to be judged by lines, shapes, and tones. You just let yourself go and take it where it will. That’s how I feel about it.

Just exquisite! Although the tree is in silhouette, the fine ends of the branches look silvery. The mix of light and dark tones create a really magical image. One that totally captures the freezing beauty of winter. I love this, Tony! Congratulations.

Thank you everybody for the kind comments!

1 Like