Blackstone Morning

Rework

Critique Style Requested: Initial Reaction

Please share your immediate response to the image before reading the photographer’s intent (obscured text below) or other comments. The photographer seeks a genuinely unbiased first impression.

Questions to guide your feedback

Does it feel like morning?

Other Information

Please leave your feedback before viewing the blurred information below, once you have replied, click to reveal the text and see if your assessment aligns with the photographer. Remember, this if for their benefit to learn what your unbiased reaction is.

Image Description

Morning light strikes the eastern slopes of Mt. Boyle near Tombstone Territorial Park. Mount Boyle is a small mountain on the southeast corner of the Blackstone Range. It’s also immediately adjacent to the Dempster Highway.

Technical Details

Canon EOS 5D II; Canon EF 16-35mm @ 35mm; f/11 @ 1/200 sec, ISO 100; Gitzo tripod; RRS BH 55; remote trigger

Specific Feedback

Whatever you wish, positive or otherwise

My immediate reaction is - power. The in your face triangular form that’s centered tells me power. Yet the power is diminished somewhat by the gentle lake. So it’s a double message in a way. Each modifies the other.

This image has a painterly look to it that’s quite lovely. The only suggestion I have is to go easier on some of the blues, like the mountains on the left side. They draw the eye. IMO the eye should go to the sunny side of that mountain first and then the lake.

1 Like

I will second @Igor_Doncov comments. My initial reaction was to tone down the blues.

Thank you @Michael_Lowe and @Igor_Doncov for your comments. I am posting a rework of the image. Let me know if it is more consistent with your expectations.

my initial reaction was wow. I love the colors and shapes. The reflection that is divided between the sky and the mountain changes the perspective of the picture and shifts the balance of the picture which really adds to the picture. The rework gives more room for the mountain at the top but in my opinion you gave it a little too much room. somehow having so much of the frame go to the clouds reduce the power of the picture in my opinion. I don’t feel it’s morning. it could be any time of the day. There is a hint of red sunrise in the reflection. maybe you can strengthen that effect to emphasize the time of day. Thanks for sharing.

Lovely scene, Bob. This doesn’t really feel like any certain time of day to me but rather some nice light peaking out from the clouds and splashing some gold on side of the foreground mountains and the lake. The rework is significantly better. Those blues were definitely eye grabbing. I find that foreground mountain to really sing…the colors and contrast, the textures are just beautiful and as @Igor_Doncov said, very painterly, particularly that hillside. I’m not sure what’s going on with the almost black hill face just behind the foreground mountain but it seems odd to me. It may very well be natural but it’s really dark.
Beautiful image and beautifully composed.

@Michael_Lowe , @Igor_Doncov , @David_Haynes and @tamar-aharony :Thank you all for your comments. Once again I reworked the image. I also attached a screenshot of the mountain. I can now tell you why that one ridge is so dark. Its face is in full shadow. Navigating above the Arctic Circle gets tricky because the longitude lines converge as one gets closer to the north pole.

1 Like