Blizzard, Mt. Rainier

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Heavy snow blankets the slopes of Mt. Rainier, with 40-80 feet of snow per year. Its a great place for a camera if you like snow.

Technical Details

f/10. 1/500 sec. ISO 200. Canon 5d Mk 4

3 Likes

Fantastic minimalist, high-key image. I can feel the cold!

Delton, the composition is striking. It suggests the heavy snowfall you mentioned. I always have trouble when pure white is the main color in the scene. It is hard on my eyes, but in this case, I think it works.

This is a stunning image Delton! I love its minimalist beauty.

Gorgeous indeed! I love the composition and it evokes a lovely pen-and-ink drawing! The trees feel they are leaning to the left and a 2 degree CW rotation fixed it. It’s such a perfect image but that takes it over the top, for me.

I’m having trouble visualizing 80 feet of snow… Mind-boggling.

Thank you

Del Y

Barbara: Thank you. We’re getting lots more snow this week!

Del Y

Thank you More snow on the way!

Del Y

I really like the minimalism of this image, Delton. I love photographing in snow, too! One thing that may make this even stronger is to clone out the little trees in the lower right area of the frame - the farthest away from the the rest. My eye is pulled down to them, and without them, it stays in the other grouping better. That is just an idea, however. I really like the image regardless!

Hi Delton,
I love the minimalistic high key look of this image! It is most definitely a very striking scene IMO. I only have one suggestion; just my personal opinion; and that would be to clone out those couple of trees on the right side that are separated from the rest as they pull my eye from the rest of the group. I hope you do not mind, but here is a repost with what I was thinking.

Thank you

Del Y

Del,

First of all, welcome to NPN! Great to have you here!

What a striking image! Love how the stand of evergreens are isolated against the mystery of snow and fog (I assume.) Excellent job!

I do like Ed’s edit - if that is something you would be comfortable with. Not everyone is.

My only thought/suggestion might be to have actually more canvas all the way around to further emphasize the isolated feeling. Of course I don’t know what’s outside your frame and you likely framed/cropped this to avoid something around the edge… so that’s quite understandable. Just an observation.

Welcome aboard and we look forward to your images and participation in the forums and galleries!

Lon

Lon, Thank you. Helpful: I think you’re right re more surrounding space

best

Del Y