Bloomin

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Would appreciate feedback on composition primarily. Other welcome.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

After a three year wait, finally had a nice Joshua Tree bloom in the AZ Strip District. Its amazing to see but to parse together a reasonable comp is extremely difficult (at least to my eye) in a very large section of JT’s. Thanks in advance for the feedback. Critical welcome/appreciated.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
3 Likes

I really like this shot George.

I think you did a great job in finding a composition. I know how tough it is to find a nice composition in a joshua tree grove from experience. Choosing three joshua trees and what seems to be the more interesting tree in the center seems like the best choice!

I’d say a square crop would work as well but I think the current crop works out as well. Either that or a maybe a vignette for at least the bordering ground to really center the view?

Either way, great shot!

George, excellent J-tree and open desert scene. The composition works very nicely here with the three trees. I have to say these are a different looking tree to the ones we see out at Joshua Tree NP.
The “V or W” appearance of this type J-tree makes for a very interesting & impressive look. Our trees have more of a “Y” look to them…:+1:

btw: our J-trees out at JTNP are in this same bloom mode with “flower or top cones” right now. Our rare rain events this year have no doubt made things really come to life…:sunglasses:

I love this shot. This is a super image. This is what the old b&w masters did so well, a razor sharp image with highly defined detail. Those yucca spikes really get your attention. You’ve got some great clouds to complement this scene. There’s a great sense of space here as well, without leading lines or a fg leading to a bg.

I’m not sure what to suggest. A square crop would seem to be a good idea but then you lose a sense of space and surroundings. The comp is great as it is.

This just feels like a throwback to landscapes from the 30’s to me, both in medium and composition. It’s like an image from the f/64 group. Great stuff.

George,

I’m loving this image as well. Outstanding b&w in fact. The tonal range and mid-tones of the Joshua tree and the landscape against the contrast of the sky is working beautifully.

The arrangement and composition is wonderful as well - no doubt these comps don’t come easily in the randomness of the desert landscape. Great find and taking advantage of it.

Small details matter, and I’m glad that the trio of trees do not merge with each other; the two on the right come close, but having that small space is pretty important; at least for me.

Excellent, love this!

Lon

Beautiful desert image. I might be inclined to back off the sky darkening just a bit, but that is strictly a personal taste thing. Looks great as presented. These images are really tough to pull off in the desert and your works great.

Well done. I like how each tree is distinct and not merging. I also like the overall luminosity of the image. It conveys that it is a bright desert day without being overexposed. No suggestions on improving as I don’t think it needs any.