Joshua Tree Rocks

This image is from a quick trip to Joshua Tree NP a few days ago. I find the vastness of the desert very challenging photographically, maybe that’s why I like it so much. Unlike many other National Parks, Joshua Tree NP doesn’t have the obvious subjects and compositions, I find myself having to work and visualize so much more to find a scene I like. I feel it’s so much more rewarding when I do find a scene worth getting the camera out for. I explored a remote area of the park I had not been to before, there were many of these rock formations randomly sticking out of the sand floor.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Andrew, I really like the composition. the leaning rock on the left adds some great dynamic tension to the image. It just points the way to the center formation. The amount of sky and grass look nicely balanced too. I also like the mottled tonality of the formation in the right half, it makes for a nice subject for B&W. Nice job wit the rest of the B&W conversion, you have a good range of tones.

My only suggested tweak would be a slight burning of the rock in the LLC, but that is a nitpick.

1 Like

Thanks as always @Ed_McGuirk for you time to look and comment on my image, I appreciate it. I hear you on the rock in the LR, I did burn that one quite a bit already as it was pretty bright in the original.