Boulders in Joshua Tree

Those of you that have been to Joshua Tree National Park know about the wonderful rock formations there. I am always captivated by the myriad lines and shapes reflecting ancient earth forces. They are just beautiful to see!

What technical feedback would you like if any?

any

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

any

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

200mm, f/8, 1/500 second, ISO 100

2 Likes

Mark, a really fine take from the “Marble Rock” formation in J-tree. And yes, the area has a vast amount of wonderful rock formations.

Well done on both the composition and the monochrome rendition.

A good BW rendition of these rocks. Well exposed and fine detail.
If you want to press it a bit more toward art, your art, use crop, rotate, and burn to turn Natures art into yours. Attached is not very good but you get the idea.

Mark, these do look familiar, having been to J-Tree a couple of times, even if I don’t know this formation specifically. The mix of angled cracks and rounded tops is very interesting. I think you b&w conversion is spot on.

@Paul_Breitkreuz, thanks for your comment! Also, I didn’t know the name of this formation, so thanks for that info.

@GregVaughn and @Mark_Seaver, thank you. I thought B&W was definitely called for here! Mark, this is in the Jumbo Rocks campground area.

@Dick_Knudson, what an imaginative rendering! I love your creative take, and how you describe it. I want to keep this in mind for other images. Thanks very much for suggesting this.

2 Likes

This is wonderful. I like the juxtaposition of the diagonal lines at the bottom and the round and oval shapes at the top.

1 Like

Thanks, Chris. Exactly! Me too! Those are super fascinating.

This is so good Mark. I really love the angular, wedge shaped rocks that make up 95% of the image and the one almost perfectly round rock sitting on top being balanced between two other rocks. I think I see another crop where you crop off the right 60% of the image and leave just the triangular rocks and the balance rock in a portrait. Nice black and white conversion too.

Well done @Mark_Muller, I really enjoy this image. I’ve been to JT many times, every time I feel overwhelmed by the possibilities. I will never understand the people who don’t see the beauty in the desert.
Not much for me to critique here, maybe a darker sky and a bit more contrast but that’s my personal taste.

@David_Haynes, Thanks very much for commenting. Yes, the variety of shapes and lines gives so many potential compositions. I’ve attached a cropped version that I did when I first worked on this image. There is some fringing along the edge of the round boulder that I couldn’t eliminate, and this one doesn’t have as many triangular rocks as I think you had in mind, but again there are so many possibilities.

@andrew_hertel, I know what you mean about being overwhelmed by the possibilities. The beauty there is just awesome. I think this area is a perfect place to “wander” slowly and see what catches our eye.