Blossoms

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I’m hoping to do more floral imaging, so your helpful thoughts are appreciated. Not sure what species this is from.

Specific Feedback

All feedback appreciated.

Technical Details

Canon R5; 100-500 with 1.4 TC at 420 (guess if I’m going to do more flowers, I should bring another lens along when I’m out birding); 1/250, f10, -1 1/3 EV; ISO 250

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:

I think you should do more floral shots, too. Reminds me of apple blossoms, but I’m not sure that’s what it is. The light is to die for here - it lifts the flowers out of the background and gives them some modeling and texture. I like the slight withering as a contrast with the fresher ones; tells a story and soon there will be fruit. You could add some room at the bottom and left if you wanted; it’s a bit tight. If you can’t it’s sometimes better to crop even tighter so it has a different presentation. Lovely detail where needed - the dominant flower stamens and I like the subtle pink blush. Terrific look at whatever this is.

1 Like

Very nice! (An apple??) The sharp focus areas and falloff are pleasing, with the leaves providing a nice BG. I love the blush of light at the bottom. I also think just a bit more room in the frame would be nice, especially on the left. Processing looks excellent.

I love my “1000mm macro” lens! With its 3 ft MFD It works as well for flowers as for dragonflies and birds.

1 Like

Very nice, Allen. A google image search came up with European Crab apple which seems appropriate to me. I could see trying to get the lower petal of the lower bloom in focus, but I’m not sure even f/32 with that lens setup would do it. It looks like your iso was low enough that you could have raised it and stepped down more. However, it is a fine image as posted. I like the composition.

1 Like