Blowing in the Wind

Original

Higher resolution copy

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

“The dunes are changed by the wind, but the desert never changes.” Paulo Coelho ‘The Alchemist’

Wind is the primary driving force in the ephemeral nature of sand dunes. At times one can witness this geomorphic evolution in real time. Taken in the Ibex Dunes, Death Valley NP.

Added April 13, 2024
I uploaded a higher resolution copy of my image.

The goal of this image was to create an impressionistic or dreamlike mood to the scene. ICM was not giving me the effect I was looking for so I decided to try Defocus. There is a fine line between a blurred image that is pleasing to the eye and a blurred image that does not work. My question for the forum is was I successful?

Technical Details

Canon R10, RF-S 18-150 lens
f/8, 1/200 sec., ISO 400

The simplicity of this image emphasizes the strength of the wind. The placement of the crest of the dune makes for a strong composition. Although there is an overall softness to the focus, I would like to see some part of the sand in sharper focus. The base of the dune would make sense. Paul, thanks for sharing this image with us.

You may not be able to see the wind, but you can sure see the effect of the wind, especially in this image Paul. Nice composition and colors.

Very nice, Paul. I like the simplicity of your composition and the light striking the top of the dune. The textured sand in the foreground is also really nice and adds interest to that part of the image. Well done!

@Barbara_Djordjevic , When I posted this image I was a little fuzzy about the feedback I was looking for. Thank you for the feedback and helping me focus.

@Ed_Williams , @John_Kilgour Thank you for the feedback. I posted the wrong image file last night, so I added a higher resolution version.

I don’t think I would have thought of soft focus, but it definitely works for the ephemeral subject! Wonderful subject and I love the composition – definitely minimalist, a re-emergence of pictorialism.

I love desert images. I think I would have preferred seeing a little more texture and contrast in the foreground, and sharper sand edges leading to the blurred windy section. Overall a very pleasing image.

My favorite thing about this image other than the subject (love the simplicity of sand dunes!), is the delicate colors of blue & gold - very pleasing complementary colors. You’ve got the composition spot-on with the weighting of sand dune to sky too. As mentioned by another, I would also enjoy seeing the foreground in better focus/detailed, so that the blur of the wind is in contrast to that. I think it would speak more to the story of wind blowing the top off the dune.