Windswept

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I love dunes and seek them out whenever we travel. I’ve spent a lot of time in Great Sand Dunes NP and single trips to White Sands and Death Valley. This was from an early morning wandering in Mesquite Flats. I took out most of the color to get close to white.

Specific Feedback

I like the hint of color but could see converting to B&W. Your thoughts?

Technical Details

Sony A77
Sony 70-400 G @ 330mm
ISO 200, 1/80 @ f11

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:
1 Like

I love the high key, minimalist look to this dune image Bill. What great patterns and lighting.

Hi Bill, I really love the ambiguous scale of this image. The dune here could be 10" or 10’ long. The traditionalist in me wants it B&W but the tiny bit of color works well too.

Beautiful forms! The high key with a bit of color works very well for me. Well seen and presented!!

Yeah I get the dilemma. B&W for dunes can be so powerful. Yet….there’s something about the the touch of warmth that lets me experience the sun’s presence in the light you’ve found here, and I like that. I think your instincts are correct. I also am enjoying this composition’s sweep of lines, and how the detail fades into the light. I love dunes too!

Bill, I too am a color junkie, so I like the subtle colors here. They add a nice touch of warmth. I also like how the texture in the dunes on the left is shown off so well and how that transitions to bright at the top and right of the frame.