White Waves

This was taken at Mesquite Flat Dunes in Death Valley last December. I would like to have been able to be out on the dunes photographing, but because I’m not physically able to do so, I was limited to telephoto shots. This was one of the few that I was happy with.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any feedback is appreciated.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
200 mm, ISO 200, f13

Hi Chris, well I think you have a beautiful high key photo here without getting any closer. I’m enjoying the varied lines and waves in this composition and the differently textured background makes a nice counterpoint to the rest of the image. The little wisps of sand blowing off the far dune is a bonus. Nice capture!

1 Like

Lovely, Chris. Really love the undulating mounds and the “ripples” at the peaks. Lots of movement and textures to enjoy just the way you have captured it. Very nicely seen.

1 Like

Lovely formations and an excellent angle, Chris. I really like the plume of sand from the far peak. The color of the shadows is subtle but seems to indicate sunset-you could probably get a lot of different feels out of this image just playing with that hint of color.

1 Like

There’s a wonderful softness in this image. I personally have been drawn to shooting landscapes more frequently with a telephoto. It helps isolate elements in the scene.

1 Like

You certainly made up for your limitations! These dunes are very difficult to get clean shots of, both for scruffy vegetation and footprints. You have found a wonderful composition and treated it very well. The high key approach works very well, for me, and this is a file that could go in several directions.

1 Like

Thank you all for your wonderful comments and feedback. I greatly appreciate it.

I like the softness and flow of this a lot.

1 Like

Chris, the high key nature of this view looks great, with some fine ebb and flow across the dune field. I also think that the subtle color change in the distance is a good benefit. It looks like there was a bit of wind, with some blowing sand showing at the peak of the farthest ridge.

1 Like