Velvet Dunes

This is another image from Mesquite Flat Dunes in Death Valley. This photo is intentionally soft focus. I thought it went with the soft pastel pink and purple cast to the dunes.

Specific Feedback Requested

If there was no explanation for the softness of the photo, would you “get” it?

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
f10, ISO200, 190mm

1 Like

Hi Chris. As to your question, I think I’d “get it” except for that second ridge. To me it feels a bit too sharp to fit with the rest of the image (and maybe those ripples in the valley behind and to the right of that ridge). The colors and shapes are awesome.

1 Like

I like the colors and soft shadows and feel. I do find the ridges much harsher compared to those details and in conflict with that feel. I do get the softness without the explanation. Beautiful colors and shapes.

1 Like

Well done Chris! I love the soft pastel colors and the soft’r focus works well with the sand and colors! Gives the image an overall dreamy feel!

1 Like

I think the soft focus works well with the soft light and lovely subject. I’m less curious about your intent than your methodology. Was it shot with a soft-focus lens, or the effect achieved in post? If the latter, there could be some interesting leeway.

I wonder about the inclusion of the bottom ridge. For me, it competes with the more interesting patterns above it.

1 Like

Diane - It was shot with soft focus.

The overall softness, being focus and tones, makes this a beautiful image. The composition makes the eyes go all the way thru those dunes without never being tired of what they have to offer.

At first the magenta tones looked like a bit saturated to me, but after some seconds looking at it i don’t think i would change a bit on this scene.

Beautifully made, thanks for sharing.

1 Like

Diane, while the larger view shows a touch of softness, there’s enough sharpness, with the small ripples showing well that it holds together well. There is a nice “dreamy” feeling here. I’m enjoying the comparison/contrast between this pink/blue view and your earlier white version. Both are thoroughly enjoyable.

1 Like