Blue Bead Lily

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Deep in the forest of western Maine I came across this little beauty. I was surprise when I finally ID’ed it as a Blue Bead Lily. Later in the summer a cluster of blue berries, not the kind you eat, form on the stem.

Specific Feedback

any feedback is appreciated

Technical Details

I had my camera set for birding but I wasn’t unhappy at the results.
Nikon D500
Nikkor 5/6 500mm
ISO 1726, 5/6, 1000shutter speed, manual mode

These are so beautiful, aren’t they? I just got around to photographing some earlier in the month, myself. I think you have a nice cluster here with some fresh buds still waiting their turn. The leading edge is nice and sharp and there is enough of the group in focus. I really wish for a cleaner background though. Granted, it can be quite hard to do in the forest floor environment, but this bg doesn’t do them justice. More or fewer leaves would be better, but since it is what it is, you could try a blur layer and see if that helps simplify things. I’ll have to get to processing my shots and see if I got anything decent. These are gorgeous, but difficult!

I love images like this! Kristen’s idea to artificially blur the background a bit more is a good one. I think the composition might have benefitted by moving the cluster just left of center so that the tallest flower is “looking” into the center of the image, or a vertical composition either by crop or when you were capturing the scene. This image definitely captures the essence of the forest floor. Love it!

1 Like