The call from below

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

A classic take on bunchberry flowers, but in color and with a lot of color separation to bring out the veins in the leaves. After moving around quite a bit looking for a mostly uniform patch of these beauties, I settled on this one. Got a bonus beetle and bee out of the deal, too.

Specific Feedback

Anything is welcome, but I’m especially interested in reactions to the processing and presentation.

Technical Details

Tripod

Lr - started with a linear profile to get the flattest image possible then massaged the dynamic range using all the sliders! Teased apart the colors w/Calibration and HSL panels. Ps for a lot of distraction removal. Back to Lr for a crop and then I lowered the vibrance and exposure a bit as well.

4 Likes

Hi Kris,
wow, that looks beautiful. I really like the composition and the colors.
The little bug is a great detail too.

Nothing to suggest. Well done!

Wonderful composition with clean edges – not easy to do! Great whites and detail in the greens is delightful, as are the bonus bugs! The slightly more yellowish leaves in the center are perfect!

Thanks @Jens_Ober & @Diane_Miller - glad the color and processing come off well. These are such fun flowers all through their lifecycle - from this freshness to the bright scarlet berries and eventually the leaves often turn a gorgeous maroon red. Such a lovely little thing.

The remove tool and CAF in Photoshop helped a lot with this with regard to an even leaf field. There were some holes that filled in a really natural way - something I wouldn’t have been able to do before and would probably have to crop quite a bit. Or I’d still be out there looking for a nice patch!

Kris: Great comp and a really good job getting all of the blooms in the frame without having to cut some off. Had to do a little “Where’s Waldo” for your party crashers. I’m OK with them and it’s a matter of personal taste but unless a bug is more attractive than these I tend to make them go away. >=))>

Thanks @Bill_Fach - yeah, these kinds of ground cover plants are tough to work with sometimes, but this one turned out fairly well. I have cloned out bugs before, but decided to leave these two.

Nice, Kris, I don’t know how I missed this beauty! Love the composition. Nice lighting and wonderful details throughout. The party crasher works well for me too. It is nature.

1 Like

Thanks @Shirley_Freeman - no problem - it’s getting busy around here! I don’t mind insects in shots like this either. They add a certain level of reality.

1 Like